[cmath] Announcement - 9th International Conference on Teaching Statistics

Alan Kelm akelm at cms.math.ca
Tue Mar 25 16:24:55 EDT 2014

*************

Subject:  ICOT9 registration reminder - fees go up soon

Dear colleague,

I am writing to remind you to register soon for ICOTS9, the 9th Int'l Conference on Teaching Statistics. Use this link: http://icots.net/9/  and click on "registration".
     Why now? because the reduced "early bird' fee is ending on March 31, 2014. Afterwards, fees go up - and fewer lodging options remain. So, please take advantage of the reduced fees for the next few days, and hurry.

**THE CONFERENCE**:  ICOTS9, the premiere statistics education event, will take place on July 13-19, 2014, in Flagstaff, Arizona USA. ICOTS9 is organized by IASE, the International Association for Statistical Education, and co-sponsored by the American Statistical Association and the International Statistical Institute. ICOTS meetings are lively, informal gatherings that draw together several hundreds of people interested in the learning, teaching, and understanding of statistics and probability at schools and universities, in the workplace, and in professional and societal contexts, whether as part of statistics education, mathematics or science education, in connection with the work of official statistics agencies and other data producers, and in many other contexts.
    The conference is taking place in a unique facility (High Country Conference Center) at the Northern Arizona University campus, in close proximity to world-class attractions such as the Grand Canyon and the red cliffs of Sedona.

**THE PROGRAM**:  The scientific & professional program for ICOTS is shaping up nicely; dozens of invited sessions under 10 topics are already in place, and over 150 additional contributed papers and posters have already been accepted. Please check the ICOTS website: http://icots.net/9/ to see how the Scientific program is evolving.
     We offer eight pre- and post-conference workshops on a range of applied topics in statistics education. The separate fees for all workshops are low and only cover our basic expenses, and include lunch as well. This is a good way to do some hands-on work in a small group and meet new people. (Note: workshop D is in Spanish and is sponsored by IASE, as part of our capacity-building mission). Space in all workshops is limited.
*
***ABOUT REGISTRATION AND PLANNING**:
   1). Please register by *March 31, 2014* to enjoy reduced registration fees. There are many hotel options... but they are filling up. We have also added additional university dormitory rooms at a very reduced rate, after all the 40 dorm rooms which we started with were snapped - See under "Accommodations" but note that payment for the dorm rooms is as part of the registration process, not under the list of Hotels.
   2). There are several registration categories, including reduced fees for teachers and for folks from developing countries (we use the World Bank list of developing countries, which is on the website).
        If you are not an IASE member yet, there is a great option to join at a reduced rate until the end of 2015 as part of your registration, which enables you to get the member rate for the conference.
   3). The registration fees include 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches, all at the conference facility. This simplifies your life as a participant and increases options for socializing during the day.
   4). Several tours are offered to nearby attractions as part of the optional excursions on Wednesday. We are working on arrangements for a local shuttle service for transportation of accompanying persons to attractions such as Sedona. (heard about the Sedona Red cliffs and energy vortexes? now is your chance to be there in person...).
   5). Once you have registered, if you want to book additional things like banquet tickets, workshops and Wednesday tours, use the PDF form under "Registration by Mail" and email it or fax it to the ASA office listed there.

Please circulate this message to interested people in your country or professional groups. ICOTS is a unique conference and we hope you can help us spread the word. Thanks!

See you soon in Arizona.

--Iddo

Iddo Gal, PhD
Chair, Department of Human Services
University of Haifa, 31905 Haifa, Israel
E-mail: iddo at research.haifa.ac.il
President, Int'l Association for Statistical Education, IASE