[cmath] Heidelberg Laureate Forum - Forum Heidelberg des lauréats

Christiane Rousseau rousseac at dms.umontreal.ca
Tue Feb 11 16:30:48 EST 2014

Le français suit…

Young researchers are invited to meet Fields medallists and laureates of the Abel, Nevanlinna and Turing prizes during September 21-26 2014.  The deadline for applications is February 28 2014: http://www.heidelberg-laureate-forum.org/

The Heidelberg Laureate Forum was held in 2013 for the first time. It
was inspired by the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings, which have, since
1950, brought together Nobel Laureates and bright young scientists for
interesting lectures, discussions, interactions. At the HLF the
Laureates are mathematicians and computer scientists -- more precisely,
winners of the Fields Medal, the Nevanlinna Prize, the Abel Prize or the Turing Award.

Below are a few quotes from some of the participants in the 2013 meeting. There are quotes from the Laureates themselves, and from the young researchers; they all attest to the importance they attach to the interaction between young researchers and students and Laureates.

Yet, somehow, young researchers from mathematics are applying in much
smaller numbers than from computer science (Young mathematicians make
up about 20% of the applicants so far, this year).

Please encourage bright young mathematicians to
apply! The deadline is February 28; applications are open to graduate
students (both beginning and advanced) and postdocs.

**********************
De jeunes chercheurs sont invités à rencontrer des médaillés Fields et des lauréats des prix Abel, Nevanlinna et Turing du 21 au 26 septembre 2014. La date d'échéance pour soumettre une candidature est le 28 février 2014: http://www.heidelberg-laureate-forum.org/

Il semble que très peu de mathématiciens ont soumis leur candidature (20% de mathématiciens contre 80% d'informaticiens).

Merci d'encourager de jeunes mathématiciens brillants à poser leur candidature. La date limite est le 28 février. Le forum est ouvert aux étudiants de cycles supérieurs et aux postdocs.

**********************
Some quotes from young participants in HLF 2013:

"I learned more during that one week than I learned in years."
> Emre Can Sertöz, PhD candidate (Mathematics), Humboldt University Berlin

"I mostly enjoyed these coffee breaks and the receptions and all these situations where one could talk openly with the laureates."
Laura Schaposnik, PostDoc (Mathematics), University of Illinois

"As a student you can be intimidated by the genius of your professor or the genius of a huge person in your field, but being here the laureates really engage with you just as a fellow curious seeker, a fellow thinker." Gwen Spencer (Computer Science), Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire

"I had the unique chance of talking to the best mathematicians and computer scientists." Tim Conrad, PostDoc (Mathematics), Free University Berlin

Quotes from some of the Mathematical Laureates who participated in the 2013 meeting:

"This was a very worthwhile meeting. The students present were the most
impressive bunch I have seen assembled anywhere.  Especially these
students had a wide perspective with depth, of science in general.  I
certainly enjoyed my exchanges with them, from Brazil, from Pakistan,
from Iran, etc." (Steven Smale)

"The most important part was the chance for the Laureates to talk to
the young researchers. So the views of these younger participants is
crucial." (Michael Atiyah, who added that he felt even more time should
be made in the schedule for these interactions.)

"I had lots of very nice conversations with the students during the
'Informal meetings between young researchers and laureates', and it got
better with the week. These conversations were on my list of 'high
points', of the week, second only after a visit to a local high school
with very bright kids. (Madhu Sudan)

"It is a very useful and interesting event. It also happened to be
excellently organized." (Vladimir Voevodsky)

"It was a very enjoyable week, from many viewpoints. I especially liked
talking to the young students and postdocs. Visiting the high school
was fun and a good idea." (Avi Wigderson)

"The presence of the young students was very motivating"
(Cedric Villani)

Christiane Rousseau
Département de mathématiques et de statistique
Université de Montréal
C.P. 6128, succ. Centre-ville
Montréal, Qc, H3C 3J7, Canada
Tél: 514 343-7729,