[cmath] Alejandro Adem Accepts Second Term as PIMS Director

Kiernan, Clare clare at pims.math.ca
Thu Oct 18 19:05:00 EDT 2012

Alejandro Adem Accepts Second Term as PIMS Director

Alejandro Adem has been appointed to a second five-year term as Director of the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences (PIMS), beginning July 1, 2013.

Dr. Adem is a Professor of Mathematics at the University of British Columbia, and holds the Canada Research Chair in Algebraic Topology. His mathematical interests span a variety of topics in algebraic topology, group cohomology and related areas. He has published more than 60 research articles as well as two books, and has delivered over 250 invited talks throughout the world. In 1992 he received the U.S. National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award. He has held visiting positions at the IAS in Princeton, the ETH-Zurich, the Max Planck Institute in Bonn, the University of Paris VII and XIII and Princeton University.

"Dr. Adem has guided PIMS in new directions, added major institutions to our membership and developed many international initiatives" says Dr. Brian Russell, Chair of the PIMS Board. "He works very well with NSERC and the Alberta government (two of our major funders). I felt it was crucial to retain Dr. Adem's strong presence as Director and am very pleased that he is serving a second term. I look forward to many more exciting initiatives and to continuing our relationship in my role as Chair of the PIMS Board."

Dr. Adem has a wealth of international scientific and administrative experience. He has served as Chair of the Department of Mathematics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and as co-chair of the Scientific Advisory Committee for the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute in Berkeley. He sits on the Board of Directors for AARMS and BIRS as well as on the Council of the AMS. He has served on the steering committees for the Long Range Plan for the Mathematical and Statistical Sciences in Canada, for the 2011 ICIAM Conference and for the 2013 Mathematical Congress of the Americas. He played a leading role in organizing the first joint meetings between the Canadian and Mexican mathematical societies, and has been instrumental in the development of the Pacific Rim Mathematical Association (PRIMA). As Director of the CNRS' Unite Mixte Internationale at PIMS (established in 2007) he has also fostered academic connections between Canada and France.

Dr. Adem said, "It is a great honour for me to continue as Director of PIMS. This is a world-class institute and I will continue to build on PIMS' outstanding record of success thanks to the tireless efforts of the mathematical sciences community in Canada and beyond. I am extremely grateful to the PIMS staff and the Board of Directors for their support."

Clare Kiernan
Communications Manager

Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences
Web: www.pims.math.ca<http://www.pims.math.ca> | Twitter: @pimsmath