[cmath] Mathematics Education Session on Big Ideas December 2011

Walter Whiteley whiteley at mathstat.yorku.ca
Sat Sep 3 11:01:51 EDT 2011

I am organizing the Mathematics Education session at the Canadian
Mathematics Society meeting in Toronto this December:
          http://cms.math.ca/Events/winter11/
I am inviting submissions for the Mathematics Session on Big Ideas in
Mathematics, as well as encouraging participation in the Special
Session.  The deadline for early bird registration is September 30,
and I will be able to subsidize registration for those who have
accepted contributions (abstracts due October 31).

The Mathematics Education session on Big Ideas starts with a CMS
Public Lecture on Friday December 9 by Chris Wild from New Zealand.
Chris is a statistics researcher who has been playing a key role in
developing the new Mathematics and Statistics curriculum in New
Zealand.  In this curriculum, Statistics inference plays a significant
role as one of three main branches K-12, and Chris has been developing
visually based simulations and other supports for use over a variety
of ages.    Hopefully, people in the Toronto Area will be able to
bring colleagues and students to this free Public Talk.

The main Mathematics Education Session runs Saturday December 10, and
December 11 if interest supports this.   The overall theme is
	Big Ideas for organizing the K-12 Mathematics curriculum (and beyond).
In Ontario, each revised curriculum (in all subject areas) is to be
organized around big ideas.   Some similar themes are coming out in
other curricula discussions.   Here are some samples:

(A) One Big Idea, related to the talk of Chris Wild, and supported by
some further discussion from Chris in our session, will be around
Uncertainty and Statistical Inference.

(B) A second Big Idea with at least one contribution will be on
Transformations and Invariance (Geometry, Proportional Reasoning, some
areas of algebra, ... ).

(C) A possible third theme could be the Mathematical Processes /
Developing Reasoning as a Big Idea that is more important in
curriculum than a number of specific pieces of content.   A related
distinction is emerging in Ontario University development of
Undergraduate Degree Level Expectations, where processes are
highlighted, and specific content lists are de-emphasized.

I would welcome submissions on any of these themes or other topics you
would propose as a Big Idea for Curriculum Design.  If I receive an
informal query during September, I will try to give feedback prior to
the Early Bird Registration deadline of September 30.

Walter Whiteley
York University