[cmath] Re: [Cmesg-l] Fwd: Good article for promoting pure math research

Miroslav Lovric lovric at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jul 18 12:34:35 EDT 2011

Hi Walter,

we are on the same page. To add a further nuance: what does it mean to
'do' mathematics? does 'doing math' require some kind of
'awareness' of underlying math processes?

of course, in the broadest sense,
we all have experiences in 'doing' math from earliest age on
(you can argue that playing soccer/baseball/etc is doing math,
for instance geometry in 3d);
also 'doing' research (digging a hole in the sand), or
engineering (building sand castles), or geology (throwing rocks), etc.

but then is a bee which 'uses'
polar coordinates (in human lingo) to convey the information
about the location of a food source, doing math? or a dog which
jumps into a lake to catch a ball and does it in a way that minimizes time
rather than distance?

miroslav

<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v475/n7355/full/475166a.html>http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v475/n7355/full/475166a.html
> >> Shortform url: <http://bit.ly/nbsY5B>http://bit.ly/nbsY5B
> >>

> >> Peter Taylor
> >> Professor
> >> Dept Math&Stats
> >> Queen's University
> >> Kingston ON K7L 3N6
> >> 613 533-2434
> >> http://www.mast.queensu.ca/~peter/
> >> --
> >>

> > * * * * * * ************************************************
> >  Miroslav Lovric
> >  Professor
> >  Department of Mathematics and Statistics
> >  McMaster University
> >  Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1, Canada
> >
> >  tel.: 905.525.9140.ext27362
> >  fax:  905.522.0935 (attn. M.Lovric)