[cmath] Re: [Cmesg-l] Fwd: Good article for promoting pure math research

Miroslav Lovric lovric at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jul 14 22:51:19 EDT 2011

Peter,

thank you very much for this

Some of the stories/case studies I know about, and always talk about them
to my students. Now I know more stories!

Important message -- for students, as well as for teachers, math
curriculum people, etc. -- is that not every piece of math
needs to be (or can be) justified by some (present-day, "real life")
application.

There is huge value in learning about (and researching) areas of math that
seem to be "purely abstract/theoretical" or "non applicable."

Cheers
Miroslav

<http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v475/n7355/full/475166a.html>http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v475/n7355/full/475166a.html
> Shortform url: <http://bit.ly/nbsY5B>http://bit.ly/nbsY5B