[cmath] Challenges and opportunities for Canada's Math. Sci. Community

BIRS Director birs-director at birs.ca
Fri Oct 9 19:10:05 EDT 2009

Dear Colleagues:

You are all aware that our Canadian mathematical community is
currently facing many challenges, but it is also in a position to
capitalize on new opportunities. The Math Institute directors and
presidents of the professional societies  will convene for a retreat
at BIRS next week to discuss current issues and how to address them
together as a community.  I encourage all of you with specific
(global) concerns, ideas, and action plans for the future to
communicate them to us before next Thursday, and we will be happy to
consider them for the agenda.

Sample issues to be considered:

1.  The changes in NSERC's review processes for Discovery grants.
2.  NSERC's new deliberate policy of lowering success rates and its
impact on the math sciences.
3.  NSERC's changes to the guidelines of the MRS program, and their
impact on AARMS and NICDS.
4.  The substantial cut by NSERC to  the MRS program (and its
potential impact on the 3 institutes and BIRS)
5.  The upcoming termination of MITACS NCE funding and the potential
loss of 9 million dollars in funding for the mathematical sciences.
6.  Our relationship with the IMU (after its rejection of  two of our
bids for ICM 2010, and 2014, its handling of Canada's role in the
Fields medal, etc...)
7.  The recently achieved prominent role of our community in
advocating for research and innovation on the national level.

The retreat of the Canadian mathematical community at BIRS in 2004
correctly anticipated many of the upcoming challenges mentioned
above.  We were, however, much less successful in implementing the
recommendations that came out of that retreat. It is therefore high
time to rethink the next steps.

Thanks to all

Nassif