[cmath] Bimonthly Canadian Noncommutative Geometry workshop, May 16

Dan Kucerovsky dan at math.unb.ca
Wed Apr 29 09:59:49 EDT 2009

This bimonthly workshop aims to cover new developments in Noncommutative
Geometry. Please forward this announcement to any graduate students or
colleagues who might be interested.

The main speaker for the forthcoming meeting, 10:30am, Saturday, May 16,
2009, is Markus J. Pflaum, U.C. Boulder

Higher index theorems on orbifolds.

Given a symplectic orbifold and a deformation quantization on it, we prove
an algebraic higher index theorem on orbifolds by computing the pairing
between cyclic cocycles and the K-theory of the formal deformation
quantization. As an application, we obtain the analytic higher index
theorem by Connes-Moscovici and its extension to orbifolds.

Support for graduate students is available, please enquire, ncgworkshop at unb.ca.

Masoud Khalkhali
Dan Kucerovsky
Bahram Rangipour

This workshop is associated with the Center for Noncommutative Geometry and Topology at the University of New Brunswick,
www.math.unb.ca/~dan/copal/Centre_main.htm, and with the NCG group at UWO.
We thank the Fields Instutute for financial support.