[cmath] Follow-up on "Don't leave Canada behind" campaign

Concerned Researchers concerned.researchers at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 09:47:14 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues

More than 1750 of you, Canada's researchers, have agreed to sign the open
letter to the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition, in support of
the "Don't leave Canada behind" campaign. The overwhelming and positive
response  to this initiative took us by surprise. Many of you called for a
more sustained grass-root effort to constructively engage government, policy
makers and post-secondary institutions.  We have since included the leaders
of the Bloc Quebecois and of the NDP in the discussion. We have also
received a response from the leader of the Opposition. You can find all
these documents, an up-to-date list of signatories, and any potential
response from the Prime Minister and other officials  on the blog

http://dontleavecanadabehind.wordpress.com/

This initiative was launched in response  to the most recent decisions by
the Canadian government in regard to research, development, and academic
pursuits, in particular those formulated in its "stimulus budget". Billions
of dollars were committed to post-secondary institutions, yet Canada's
research community was left with a sinking feeling. Canada's media was
vigorous in articulating some but not all the issues. The trigger was
however the March 2 issue of the Globe and Mail where one could read:  "Mr.
Goodyear said he has met university presidents, deans of research, and
researchers themselves and believes government critics are few. "You're
going to see that one person who didn't get what they wanted," he said. But
"eight out of 10 folks I talk to get it... They are very positive"."

It was therefore high time for the people at the heart of this country's
research enterprise to be heard. We are therefore creating a forum for
direct discussions between Canada's researchers, post-secondary
institutions, granting councils, and government. This webpage/blog will
serve as an open repository for such exchanges.

Let the debate begin and let it be constructive!