Re: [cmath] Re: Résultats de notre demande de subvention

François Lalonde directeur at crm.umontreal.ca
Fri Mar 30 17:52:40 EST 2007

Dear Nassif,

    My memo was short, clear and honest -- it was sent to the
participants in the site visit at the CRM, only to them -- you were
not on that list, Nassif.  You have, incorrectly, decided to diffuse
it on the cmath list  and to the top officials at NSERC (with no
consultation with me). This confirms that communications by email,
which should be so efficient, are no longer reliable, or useful --
this ethic problem concerns all of us.  My memo was not intended for
your purpose, I mean that it was a sober message, it was certainly
not a glorification of what the CRM has acheived in the past  five
years. The CRM has a fruitful and lively relation with all other
institutes in Canada. I think that it would be fair to say that there
is no other institute that has worked so hard to collaborate with its
Canadian partners: our thematic programming is shared with Fields,
PIMS and MITACS -- it is actually because I wanted so much that PIMS
be part of our 2008-2009 thematic programming that my letter reached
you  !!  What a paradox.

It is because I have worked hard to involve MITACS in all scientific
planning for Canada that I have spent months to produce a report that
will help  MITACS be part of the most exciting developments at the
institutes. This was not an easy report.  Believe me,  it needs some
courage. You mentioned in your message what the CRM learned from
PIMS : yes it is true, the CRM learned a lot from PIMS and has a
splendid relationship with its director and all of  its researchers.
I am always pleased to acknowledge this widely. See

    http://accromath.ca/

were there is an eloge to PIMS and its director Ivar Ekeland;  see
the back cover of the first issue of Accromath where the
acknowlegment to PIMS and Ivar  appears at the top, even before the
logos of the ISM, CRM and MITACS.  The same applies to the IPSW for
which PIMS helped so much, with generosity -- see

http://www.crm.umontreal.ca/probindustriels/index_e.shtml

where the entire second paqragraph is a tribute to PIMS. If this is
in our website and our newletters, you can imagine that it was in our
MRS site visit too.

   But you did not mention what the CRM brought to the whole country
and to the world. And as far as I can remember, you never did. And I
won't either, since I spent the last 6 months explaining that to lots
of NSERC's committees. I do not need, and I do not want to do it once
again.

     The overall CRM-ISM budget is 4.8 M this year, of which 1 M
comes from NSERC (in the context of the MRS competition, it is the
ensemble CRM-ISM that must be considered according to the rules of
that programme amongst institutes). This does not include the inkind
contributions of the CRM laboratories on all campuses, nor the
MITACS' investments of course. So, as you see, the CRM faces a real
challenge: it has both the laboratory structure that now exists (in a
different way) at PIMS and the thematic programming that now exists
at Fields. Since you raised that point, let me simply make the
following correction: the thematic programming in its modern version
in the world  was introduced by the CRM in the 80's at the same time
as MSRI (Berkeley). The lab structure at the CRM was not inspired by
the Collaborative Reseach Groups at PIMS ( as you suggested) but by
the ''regroupements'' of the ISM that were set up in 1991 and were
responsible for the first and only unified  doctoral School in North
America.  This took fifteen years of hard work. The CRG"s at PIMS are
very different from the labs at the CRM-ISM: I am sure that PIMS did
not conceive their CRG's on the model of the ISM's ''regroupements''
and we did not conceive our labs on the CRG's model. These are
independent paths. Both are interesting.

    Concerning the reports from NSERC, I do not have them -- what I
said is simply an exact account of what a NSERC top offcial told me.
I think that I could take his/her words. This is why I did not
elaborate on these reports. And looking at the results of this
competition, I have no doubt that all reports for the three
institutes are praiseful.

    Now  the heart of the question raised by Nassif: it is true that
BIRS is doing very well in terms of the ratio  federal grant/ total
budget, and I  perfectly agree with this (this is why BIRS is NOT
mentionned in the French version of my message, while the English
translation was not correct -- it is the only point of my message
that was incorrect, and it was due to the  everyday challenge to
write everything in both official languages). However, there is a
genuine concern, for  ALL Canadians, when an institute like the CRM,
is facing such a drastic cut over a 15 -year period. There is no
reason to celebrate.

     For the first time in Canadian history, a Canadian institute has
launched a new mathematical field worlwide that led to a Fields
Medal. Why not be proud of this ? It is the result of so many years
of efforts.

Very sincerely,
Francois Lalonde