[cmath] NSERC Survey

Neal Madras madras at mathstat.yorku.ca
Fri Jun 23 10:19:25 EDT 2006

Dear Ivar,

     I am puzzled about the relation between the institutes and
the GSC's under these models.  Only the grantees from GSC's 336 and
337 have been polled by NSERC.  But this excludes many
mathematicians and mathematical scientists.  Most
statisticians and probabilists are with GSC 14, and
many applied mathematicians go to other disciplinary GSC's, including
computer science, physics, biology, and engineering,
as well as the Interdisciplinary GSC.

If the budgets of the Institutes are tied to the "Math Community"
as represented by GSC's 336 and 337, then what are the implications
for Institute activities that extend into the "mathematical sciences",
including statistics, theoretical computer science, operations
research, and mathematical modelling?  If Institute funding is in
the same envelope as 336/337 funding, then I worry that there
would be pressure from 336/337 for the Institutes to have fewer
activities that do not primarily benefit 336/337 researchers.

Neal Madras (GSC 14)
Chair, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
York University
4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3  Canada
(416) 736-5250 ext. 22555         fax: (416) 736-5757
madras at mathstat.yorku.ca