[cmath] re: NSERC Survey

Nassif Ghoussoub nassif at math.ubc.ca
Sun Jun 11 17:13:28 EDT 2006

Please distribute to our colleagues in the Canadian mathematical science
community

Dear Colleagues,

As you are aware, there are significant changes at NSERC starting with
last year's cancellation of the communities driven re-allocation exercise
between the Grant Selection Committees (GSCs) and replacing it with a new
re-allocation driven by reportedly "more measurable criteria" such as
discipline dynamics (the variation over time in the number of researchers
applying for funding in a given discipline) and cost of research. These
changes also led NSERC staff to devise new plans for reviewing and funding
our institutes. The mathematics community responded by forming an ad-hoc
Math/NSERC liaison committee to address these issues. Two weeks ago NSERC
sent all grantees from GSC336/337 a survey asking us to choose between two
options for funding Canadian research in the mathematical sciences.

While we appreciate NSERC's efforts in trying to address the concerns of
our community, I would like to point out that
neither the consultative process nor the content of the survey has been
adequate or satisfactory (See below).  The core of our position all along
has been that the cancellation of the re-allocations exercise, has
eliminated the only avenue for scientific communities to communicate their
global visions and aspirations to NSERC's management. Neither a proposal
to separate the institutes from their communities nor one which creates a
handcuffed "mathematics envelope" with no real possibility for global
leadership and coordinated vision are steps in the direction of bridging
the disconnect between NSERC and the scientific communities it serves.

  This debate  should and will be happening at a different level and ought
to involve all scientific communities. It should address issues of whether
NSERC can still afford its current model of not having scientific
leadership more closely involved in the envisioning process, long term
planning and prioritization exercises for Canada's future in R&D.  Various
forms of this model has been adopted by the NSF, the CNRS and more
recently the CIHR, and it calls for the country's senior scientists to
take the lead in most matters concerning research granting policies and
not only through the limiting perspective of project-based peer review
processes.

As to the survey, I believe that neither option --as stated-- addresses
the concerns of our community. I am calling for the total rejection of the
proposed MFA/MRS option (#1) for the institutes for reasons outlined
below. I am however  calling for the support of option (#2) of a
community-steered envelope, but with the caveat that NSERC should get back
to the negotiating table so as to restructure this model in a spirit of
empowering --as opposed to handcuffing-- its communities.  Statements to
that effect can only clarify our vote for option #2 and should be sent
directly to NSERC <Serge.Villemure at nserc.ca>.

1. THE CONSULTATIVE PROCESS:

The modus operandi of the two proposed options were devised by NSERC's
staff. From the start, they preferred the option of placing the institutes
in a revised MFA programme. While they had exercised a certain level of
flexibility on some of the working details concerning that option (#1),
none whatsoever was shown towards making the option (#2) of a
community-steered envelope feasible and effective.

2.  THE PROPOSED MFA/MRS OPTION FOR THE INSTITUTES--Option #1:

Both the criteria and the funding mechanisms of the MFA/MRS option are
simply not favorable neither to the institutes nor to the GSCs. It is our
position that the re-allocations criteria reflecting "discipline dynamics
and the cost of research" should take into consideration the resources
needed by the Math Institutes in order to continue supporting the world
class research capacity they are providing.  Plus, there is no point in
being subtle here: regardless of how sweetened the MFA-like option was
made for the institutes directors, it is still a fact that our institutes
and our research station are getting into a competition where they will
bring almost  $3.7 million to the table while competing initiatives are
starting with no prior NSERC funding. A good portion of the institute
funding came through reallocations to the Mathematical community and so
should be protected or at least subjected to a fair competition. NSERC has
made it clear that without additional government funding,  no new
resources will be available for the MRS programme.  On one hand, we see
the CFI (for one) spawning a herd of applicants looking to the MRS  for
funds to manage their newly acquired infrastructure. On the other,  a
substantial part of the programme's budget is off-limit as it is tied-up
with existing --government directed-- large projects which will not
effectively be part of the MRS competition.  This is simply not
acceptable.

The survey is also happening at the same time,  and independently of, the
workings of an NSERC's special task force to develop an international
strategy (The "NSERC Advisory Committee on International strategy").  BIRS
(and to a certain extent the 3 math institutes) ought to be an integral
part --and the defining part--  of that nascent international programme.
This option does not address the leading role that our community has
exercised in this direction over the last few years. It does not provide
our community with the framework and the incentive to continue to lead the
way for Canada.

3.  THE ENVELOPE OPTION AS PROPOSED--Option #2:

Our  support for the principle of an empowering "envelope option" was
motivated by an attempt to remedy (partially) the total disconnect between
NSERC and the scientific communities created by the elimination of
communities driven re-allocation process. The  modus operandi that NSERC
is unfortunately imposing for its version of this option is destined to
prevent any global and coordinated vision by our community and those in
closely related disciplines.   NSERC has  stripped the  international
steering committee --that we had proposed-- from all crucial decisions,
including budget transfers between initiatives within the envelope, but
also from any strategic leadership or any access to other NSERC programmes
(current, nascent or forthcoming). By doing so, they are effectively
removing any possibility for the community  to have a more global and
integrated vision, and to exercise the option of developing innovative
national and international initiatives that can leverage Canada's
financial and intellectual resources with provincial and international
ones. Please join us in supporting the principle of such an option but
with the understanding that NSERC has to remove all the artificial hurdles
to its functioning in a feasible and effective way.

Nassif Ghoussoub, FRSC
Distinguished University Scholar, University of British Columbia
Adjunct Professor, University of Alberta