[cmath] Conference and Mini-courses on Geometric Group Theory

Steven Boyer boyer.steven at uqam.ca
Fri Mar 3 10:01:43 EST 2006

CONFERENCE AND MINI-COURSES ON GEOMETRIC GROUP THEORY

July 3-14, 2006
Centre de recherches mathématique

web page: http://www.crm.umontreal.ca/Geometric06/index.html

ORGANIZERS
Mladen Bestvina (Utah), Steve Boyer (UQAM & CIRGET)
Tadeusz Januszkiewicz (Ohio), Michah Sageev (Technion)
Daniel Wise (McGill)

During the first week, from July 3 to 7, there will be five
mini-courses focusing on emerging ideas in Geometric Group Theory that
will be especially aimed at graduate students, but are sure to be of
wider interest. Here is the list of lecturers and the mini-courses
they will present:

Mike Davis (Ohio State): L2-Betti numbers
Chris Hruska (Chicago): Relative hyperbolicity
Graham Niblo (Southampton) and Michah Sageev (Technion): CAT(0) cube
complexes
Jacek Swiatkowski (Wroclaw): Simplicial nonpositive curvature
Kevin Whyte (UIC): Quasi-isometric rigidity

During the second week, from July 10 to 14, there will be a workshop
featuring some of the exciting new developments in the Geometric Group
Theory. We expect around twenty talks during the workshop week.
Confirmed speakers

Jason Behrstock (Utah)
Marc Bourdon (Nancy I)
Noel Brady (Oklahoma)
Inna Bumagin (Carleton)
Ruth Charney (Brandeis)
Thomas Delzant (Louis Pasteur)
Cornelia Drutu (Paris-Sud)
Mark Feighn (Rutgers)
Soren Galatius (Stanford)
Tim Hsu (San Jose State)
Olga Kharlampovich (McGill),
Bruce Kleiner (Yale)
Ian Leary (Southampton)
Dan Margalit (Utah)
Jon McCammond (UCSB)
Alexei Miasnikov (McGill)
Lee Mosher (Rutgers)
Shahar Mozes (Hebrew)
Denis Osin (CUNY)
Bertrand Remy (Institut Camille Jordan)
Roman Sauer (Göttingen)
Karen Vogtmann (Cornell).

SUPPORT FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS AND RECENT GRADUATES
Graduate students and recent graduates are encouraged to
apply for support. Information is available at
http://www.crm.umontreal.ca/Geometric06/index.html
We will begin making awards in early May.
--

Steven Boyer
Departement de mathematiques

e-address: boyer at math.uqam.ca
telephone: (514) 987-3000, extension 3240
fax: (514) 987-8935