ICMI updates

emuller at brocku.ca emuller at brocku.ca
Fri May 27 19:10:29 EDT 2005

I have received the following ICMI updates from Professor Bernard Hodgson,
Secretary-General of the International Commission on Mathematics Instruction.

Eric Muller

Dear ICMI Representatives,

I would like to bring your attention to the
following developments as regards ICMI activities.

A-)  ICMI STUDIES

**  ICMI Study 12
As already mentioned to you in a previous e-mail,
the Study Volume resulting from the 12th ICMI
Study ("The Future of the Teaching and Learning
of Algebra") has appeared a few months ago in the
New ICMI Study Series (NISS, vol. 8) published by
Springer.  See
http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,5-40414-22-35266968-0,00.html

I REMIND YOU THAT INDIVIDUALS BUYING THE BOOK FOR
PERSONAL USE ARE ENTITLED TO A 60% DISCOUNT ON
THE HARDBOUND PRICE.

**  ICMI Studies 13 and 14
The editorial work on these two studies
("Mathematics  Education in Different Cultural
Traditions: A Comparative Study of East-Asia and
the West" and "Applications and Modelling in
Mathematics Education") is in progress.  In the
case of Study 13, the book ought to appear before
the end of this year.  (A mock-up copy should be
available at the EARCOME-3 conference --- see
below.)

**  ICMI Study 15
The Study Conference was held last week in Aguas
de Lindóia, Brazil, and was attended by 157
participants (including 94 women) from 33
countries.  This was the largest Study Conference
organized to date.

**  ICMI Study 16
The 16th ICMI Study is devoted to the theme
"Challenging Mathematics in and beyond the
Classroom".   The International Programme
Committee is currently reviewing proposals of
contributions, WHICH MUST BE RECEIVED AT THE
LATEST BY AUGUST 31.  The Document Document can
be accessed (in various languages) at
http://www.amt.edu.au/icmis16.html
Invitations to the Study conference will be
issued no later than January 31, 2006, with the
conference taking place in Trondheim, Norway,
from June 27 to July 3, 2006.

**  ICMI Study 17
This theme of this Study is "Digital Technologies
and Mathematics Teaching and Learning: Rethinking
the Terrain".  The Discussion Document ought to
be issued in a very near future.

**  Future Studies
During its coming meeting, next month, the ICMI
Executive Committee expects to launch two new
Studies, on "Proof and proving in mathematics
education" and on the "Teaching and learning of
statistics".  Comments on these (or on other
topics for ICMI Studies) are most welcome.  In
particular, I would be grateful for SUGGESTIONS
OF MEMBERS for the two international programme
committees in charge of the two studies I just
mentioned.  When making a suggestion, please
provide me with a few brief credentials about the
individuals you are proposing.

B-)  CONFERENCES
Three ICMI Regional Conferences are now under preparation.

--  First Africa Regional Conference of ICMI,
Johannesburg, South Africa, June 22-25, 2005.
See http://www.wits.ac.za/ICMI/

--  EARCOME-3  (East Asia Regional Conference on
Mathematics Education), Shanghai, China, August
7-12, 2005
See  http://euler.math.ecnu.edu.cn/earcome3/

--  EMF 2006  (Espace mathématique francophone),
Sherbrooke, Canada, May 27-31, 2006
See  http://emf2006.educ.usherbrooke.ca/

ICMI is also collaborating to a national
conference on mathematics education to be held in
Delhi, India, on December 19-22, 2005.  More
information on this activity will be available
soon.

Bernard R. Hodgson
Secretary-General of ICMI -- Secrétaire général de la CIEM
(International Commission on Mathematical Instruction /
Commission internationale de l'enseignement mathématique)
Département de mathématiques et de statistique
Université Laval   Québec   G1K 7P4   Canada
Téléphone : +1 418 656 2131, poste 2975
Télécopie : +1 418 656 2817
Courriel : bhodgson at mat.ulaval.ca
Cyberpage personnelle:  http://www.mat.ulaval.ca/profs/hodgson/framtout.html