Message

Campbell, Eddy eddy at mun.ca
Wed Sep 1 19:51:35 EDT 2004

Dear Colleagues.

I am looking forward to serving the community over the next two years with
energy and enthusiasm.  It is really striking to observe how much our
environment has changed in the past few years.   Most striking is the
development of new infrastructure supporting mathematics and related
disciplines: the AARMS; the CRM; the FI; PIMS; and the MITACS centre of
excellence; as well as new cooperation between our community's societies and
organizations: the Canadian Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society, the
CMS, the Canadian Symposium on Fluid Dynamics, the Canadian Operations
Research Society, the Canadian Society for the History and Philosophy of
Mathematics, and the Statistical Society of Canada.  This spirit of
collaboration is most often expressed through regular joint meetings, of
course.  Certainly, international ventures like a second Canada-France
meeting could be organized jointly with the Institutes.  And, there are
events like the School Mathematics Fora, another large cooperative venture.

It does seem as though we could be heading towards regular "math learned"
conferences, although the long lead time involved in planning our meetings
is a significant obstacle in the way of such an initiative.

One of the most exciting initiatives that will involve us all is the
opportunity to host the International Congress of Mathematicians in Montreal
in 2010.  This is a joint venture of equal partners: the CMS, CRM, FI, PIMS
and MITACS, together with all "math-learned" societies in Canada: SSC,
CAIMS, CORS, CSHPM, CSFD, etc.

    Regards,

Eddy

H E A Campbell, Vice-President (Academic)

Memorial University of Newfoundland,     709-737-8246

St John's NL,  A1C 5S7                  Fax             2074

vpacad at mun.ca