New PIMS Deputy Director

Kelly Choo chook at pims.math.ca
Wed Jun 16 19:25:26 EDT 2004

New PIMS Deputy Director

On behalf of the Board of Directors of the Pacific Institute for the
Mathematical Sciences (PIMS) I am pleased to announce the appointment
of Alejandro Adem as the PIMS Deputy Director.  He will take up his
appointment on January 1, 2005.  Until this date Manfred Trummer will
continue to act as Deputy Director.

Professor Adem is a very distinguished topologist who has made
important contributions to the study of group actions and to the
cohomology of finite groups.  He received his Ph.D. from Princeton
University in 1986.  He was the Szego Assistant Professor at Stanford
University (1986-89) and a member of the Institute for Advanced Study
(1989-90) before moving to the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

He has held visiting positions at MSRI (1990), ETH-Zurich (1993-94),
Max Planck Institut-Bonn (1997-98), University of Paris VII (1998),
CRM-Barcelona (1998), University of Paris XIII (2000), and Hong Kong
University of Science and Technology (2001).

Professor Adem's awards include the A.P. Sloan Doctoral Dissertation
Fellowship (1985), the National Science Foundation Young Investigator
Award (1992), the Romnes Faculty Fellowship (1995), and the Vilas
Associate Award (2003).

Professor Adem brings to PIMS high scientific prestige and
considerable administrative experience.  He has been Chair of the
Department of Mathematics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
(1999-2002), and he is currently co-chair of the Scientific Advisory
Committee of MSRI.  We are privileged that he has decided to devote
his talent and energy to PIMS, and we welcome him to PIMS.

Ivar Ekeland
Director
Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences

-
General at pims.math.ca
Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences
http://www.pims.math.ca