[cmath] CONFÉRENCE PRIX ANDRÉ-AISENSTADT 2019

Centre de recherches mathematiques crm at crm.umontreal.ca
Tue Oct 22 09:27:45 EDT 2019

CONFÉRENCE PRIX ANDRÉ-AISENSTADT 2019

CONFERENCIER(S) / SPEAKER(S) :
Yaniv Plan (University of British Columbia)

TITRE / TITLE :
The role of random models in compressive sensing and matrix completion

LIEU / PLACE :
CRM, UdeM, Pav. André-Aisenstadt, 2920, ch. de la Tour, salle 6214

DATE :
Le vendredi 15 novembre 2019 / Friday, November 15, 2019

HEURE / TIME :
16 h / 4:00 p.m.

RESUME / ABSTRACT:
Random models lead to a precise and comprehensive theory of compressive sensing and matrix completion. The number of random linear measurements needed to recover a sparse signal, or a low-rank matrix, or, more generally, a structured signal, are now well understood. Indeed, this boils down to a question in random matrix theory: How well conditioned is a random matrix restricted to a fixed subset of R^n? We discuss recent work addressing this question in the sub-Gaussian case. Nevertheless, a practitioner with a fixed data set will wonder: Can they apply theory based on randomness? Is there any hope to get the same guarantees? We discuss these questions in compressive sensing and matrix completion, which, surprisingly, seem to have divergent answers.

Le café sera servi à 15 h 30 et une réception suivra la conférence au Salon Maurice-L’Abbé (salle 6245).

Coffee will be served before the conference and a reception will follow at Salon Maurice-L’Abbé (Room 6245).

http://www.crm.umontreal.ca/prix/prixAA19_fr.shtml <http://www.crm.umontreal.ca/prix/prixAA19_fr.shtml>