[cmath] Editor - Mathematics - Pearson Canada

Alan Kelm akelm at cms.math.ca
Mon Sep 22 17:05:36 EDT 2008

PEARSON CANADA - JOB POSTING

Pearson is an international media company with world-leading businesses in
education, consumer publishing and business information, focusing on
education in the broadest sense of the word. It has more than 29,000
employees based in 60 countries, including 650 people in three locations
across Canada.

Pearson is home to many of the most respected and renowned publishing
brands, including Penguin, Viking, Prentice Hall, Addison Wesley, Allyn &
Bacon, and Longman. Our imprints have earned the trust of professionals,
educators, students, and general readers alike for our commitment to
quality, integrity and independence of thought. Through our Higher
Education, School, and Penguin divisions, Pearson Canada distributes and
publishes acclaimed fiction and nonfiction as well as leading educational
resources in print and digital formats across the full Canadian
curriculum. We are proud to publish bestselling and renowned Canadian
authors in literature and children’s books, computers and business, as
well as elementary, secondary and postsecondary education. Our innovative
digital products, ranging from multimedia learning applications to
interactive media, have made us leaders in value-added technology.
www.pearsoncanada.ca

The Publishing Group of the School Division has an opening for an Editor –
Mathematics. This full-time position will be based in the Don Mills office
in Toronto.

MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Edit manuscript to ensure consistency of language and format,
   appropriate level of difficulty, and correct usage; perform
   mathematical calculations or activities to identify and correct errors,
   including computational errors.
- Prepare manuscript for production, including the preparation of
   technical and illustrative art manuscript, and photo list requirements.
- Conduct research related to possible problem contexts or specific
   market-directed interests, or to check accuracy of facts in submitted
   manuscripts
- Consult on a regular basis with and report to Managing Editor to ensure
   overall efficient work flow on various projects.
- Collaborate with Developmental Editor and Managing Editor to ensure that
   editorial changes are true to project vision.
- Proofread lasers; review and cross-check illustrations, technical art,
   photos, lasers and pdf pages.
- Perform other duties as required.

QUALIFICATIONS:
- University degree, with a preference to individuals with educational
   publishing experience and some university mathematics courses
- Computer literate – Microsoft Office (Word & Excel), Internet
- High comfort level with technology; experience with, or interest in,
   mathematical software programs such as dynamic geometry and graphing
   software
- Excellent communication skills – written and verbal
- Multitasking capabilities
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Time management skills

Candidates are asked to submit a résumé and cover letter by October 3rd, 2008 to:

Paula Hunter – Human Resources Consultant
Pearson Canada
26 Prince Andrew Place
Don Mills, Ontario      M3C 2T8
Fax: (416) 447-0598
paula.hunter at pearsoncanada.com

This employment position is among those listed in the Employment section
of the CMS website:
      http://cms.math.ca/Employment