[cmath] Bimonthly Canadian Noncommutative Geometry workshop, March (2nd announcement)

Dan Kucerovsky dkucerov at unb.ca
Fri Mar 14 15:38:42 EDT 2008

Nigel Higson speaks on:

K-Homology, Assembly and Rigidity Theorems for Relative Eta-Invariants

  March 22, 2008 at the Fields Institute, Toronto

Abstract: I shall describe a connection between K-homology theory
and relative eta invariants, specifically a connection between the
analytic surgery exact sequence, which is a long exact sequence into
which Kasparov's assembly map fits, and rigidity theorems for
relative eta invariants, such as for example the rationality of
relative eta invariants on positive scalar curvature spin manifolds.
A key part of the connection is the construction of a "relative
trace map" on the fiber of the assembly map. The construction may be
carried out either analytically or geometrically; I shall attempt to
describe both approaches. This is joint work with John Roe.

The third lecture, by John Phillips, is
tentatively scheduled for April 5, 2008, at the Fields Institute.

This bimonthly workshop aims to cover new
developments in Noncommutative Geometry, and each workshop features
a keynote address by one of the top people in the field. The general
theme for the first year is index theory. Lectures take place at
the Fields Institute  in Toronto, Canada.

Support for graduate students is available, please
enquire, ncgworkshop at unb.ca.

Organizers:
Masoud Khalkhali, Dan Kucerovsky, Bahram Rangipour

This workshop is associated with the Center for Noncommutative
Geometry and Topology at the University of New Brunswick,
www.math.unb.ca/~dan/copal/Centre\_main.htm, and with the NCG
group at UWO. We thank the Fields Instutute for financial support.

  Dan Kucerovsky, Professor      dan at math.unb.ca
  Director of the Centre for Noncommutative Geometry and Topology
                (www.math.unb.ca/~dan/COPAL/Centre_main.htm)
  Editor, AARMS book series (see www.aarms.math.ca/publications/)
  Dept. of Math&Stats            http://www.math.unb.ca/~dan
  UNB                            Phone: 506-458-7370
  Fredericton, NB E3B 5A3        Fax: 506-453-4705